Now that summer vacation has come to an end and kids are back to school, it’s time to remind drivers to make smart decisions and pay extra attention while on the road. Now is also a good time for parents to review some important safety tips with their children.
Here are a few tips to help ensure everyone’s safety:
- Roads may be more congested now that school has begun so allow yourself extra time for your commute. Don’t rush and pay attention to your surroundings, especially at intersections.
- Obey the speed limit at all times, and slow down when entering a school zone. Kids tend to be excited at the start of a new school year and may not look both ways when crossing. Be alert and avoid unnecessary distractions.
- Always stop for a school bus. Motorists traveling in both directions are obligated by law to stop for the flashing red lights of a school bus – failure to do so could result in a heavy fine and possibly lead to a serious accident.
- Obey crossing guards and yield to pedestrians. Always be prepared to stop.
- Focus on driving. Talking on a cell phone, eating or drinking your coffee is cause for distraction and leads to much slower reaction time.
- For those of you who have a child walking to and from school, take some time to teach them the rules of the road. Practice walking the route to school with them and identify any potentially dangerous areas such as busy intersections. Teach them to always walk on the inside of the sidewalk, walk with a friend if possible and never accept rides from strangers.
- Watch out for new inexperienced drivers. A lot of students worked hard at obtaining their license during the summer holidays and may now be driving alone for the first time. Share the road and be patient.
- Buckle up! Remembering to wear your seatbelt and ensuring your child is properly secured in their car seat is a must.
By educating yourself and your children, we can all make a difference in creating safer roads.
About Insurance Hero
InsuranceHero.ca is an innovative online insurance brokerage offering a wide spectrum of solutions including Ontario car insurance, home insurance and business insurance. We have partnerships with the leading insurance companies in Canada allowing us to find you the right coverage at the best price. Being an online brokerage, we proudly serve all regions in Ontario. Gone are the days where you need to drive to your local insurance office to buy insurance or obtain advice. Our dedicated team of insurance advisors will help you shop, switch and SAVE on insurance, online or over the phone – while you relax at your home or office. Contact us today!